November 12, 2013 - Being a Difference!

November 12, 2013

I have some confessions to make. After many weeks of being angry and confused about things or places I was at in my life - I can finally admit my anger and I ask for forgiveness for the ones I pushed away in my angry state. My life is not where I want it to be…specifically I don’t want the American dream. I don’t care about a house, car or rich worldly things. I only care for me and my family to go serve the Lord whole heartedly with nothing holding us back. I am not fearful of the unknown in Africa with my children. I know many missionaries that have children in Africa and they do what parents in the USA do every day. Pray for their children. Pray for their safety. Pray they will grow up to love the Lord. We trust God with our children. We trust God we make the best decisions for our children. We trust God to lead us daily where he would have us to go. Mike and I are both confused right now about why we are where we are in our lives BUT we are trusting in God and waiting on HIM. That is all we can do right now.
So tonight as I lay in bed, watching my little angels sleep in the pack n’ play beside my bed, I just begin praying and asking God to heal my heart. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me – Psalms 51:10…I prayed this many times in Niger but since being back in the USA you forget about the Bible verses that meant so much to you when you were so far away. Last night I ended up in the ER with dehydration, stomach pain and the worst migraine I have had since 2008. I went from being in control of my world, children, and even making supper to ending up a worthless “zombie-like” being. I am thankful my husband came home and took me to the ER and my mother-in-law watched my babies. It was the first time they have ever spent the night away from home and I was in so much pain I couldn’t even figure out how to deal with that at that time. Thank the Lord after sleeping in town on the bus (so I could be close to Mike as he worked on Fresh Anointing lights) that when I woke up this morning my mind was clear and I felt like a totally different person. When I got home with the girls I had that instant memory of being “HOME” and I knew I was ok today and I thought about the last time I felt that way. In Niger, after I had been in the clinic with malaria and the first time I walked back in my apartment after being so sick. It is that feeling of relief that you are better and back home. It is a nice feeling. The same feeling you get when you read your Bible. When you don’t allow your busy life to be more important than the reading of your Bible….yes I admit I have NOT been reading my Bible. I allowed the everyday life things to be more important than taking time to get my spiritual encouragement and growth. However, tonight as I lay in bed (yes going back to where I was early), watching the girls sleep, I decided I was done being too busy and reached for my Bible. Where to start? It had been awhile since I had a good in depth long study time. I flipped around read some Psalms but then decided to go back to what I had started studying in Niger right before I left…(I read an hour a night in Niger going between two or three different books of the Bible….I had finished the other two books before I left but had just started this book)....However it wasn’t one of my favorite readings but it was about the law, and sacrifice so I went back to Leviticus….yes Leviticus. So what did I read….Leviticus 9 & 10 and chapter 10 hit home and I only got to three verses…

And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not.
And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.
Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the Lord spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.

Ok so I am reading this and God just killed Aaron’s sons….and Aaron held his peace….WHAT???? Commentary is needed to really understand those five words…..Commentary please…..

My commentary in my Matthew Henry Study Bible:
·         10:3 – what was there in this to quiet Aaron?  Two things: (1). This must silence him, that his sons deserve their death; for they were thus cut off from their people because they did not sanctify and glorify God. (2). This must satisfy him, that the death of his sons rebounded to the honor of God, and his impartial justice would for it be adored throughout all the ages. Aaron held his peace:  That is . he patiently submitted to the holy will of God in this sad providence. When God corrects us or ours for sin, it is our duty to be silent under the correction, not to quarrel with God, arraign his justice, or charge him with folly, but to acquiesce in all that God does, not only bearing, but accepting the punishment of iniquity. Far be it from him that he should honor his sons more than God, or wish that God’s name, or house, or law, should be exposed to reproach or contempt for the preserving of the reputation of his family…..

WOW!!! Aaron loved God so much that he knew his sons were wrong and accepted that… Aaron’s totally devotion to God and God’s will over all else and anybody else…lets read another commentary…
·     
    Verses 3-7 The most quieting considerations under affliction are fetched from the word of God. What was it that God spake? Though Aaron's heart must have been filled with anguish and dismay, yet with silent submission he revered the justice of the stroke. When God corrects us or ours for sin, it is our duty to accept the punishment, and say, It is the Lord, let him do what seemeth him good. Whenever we worship God, we come nigh unto him, as spiritual priests. This ought to make us very serious in all acts of devotion. It concerns us all, when we come nigh to God, to do every religious exercise, as those who believe that the God with whom we have to do, is a holy God. He will take vengeance on those that profane his sacred name by trifling with him.

This made me automatically think to Eli and his sons….Remember the story? Let’s do a refresher…1 Samuel …we have the story of Hannah praying for a little boy. Eli the priest blessing Hannah and her son Samuel coming into the temple to live with Eli….but what of Eli’s sons….1 Samuel 2:12

·         Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the LORD. 13And the priests' custom with the people was, that, when any man offered sacrifice, the priest's servant came, while the flesh was in seething, with a fleshhook of three teeth in his hand; 14And he struck it into the pan, or kettle, or caldron, or pot; all that the fleshhook brought up the priest took for himself. So they did in Shiloh unto all the Israelites that came thither. 15Also before they burnt the fat, the priest's servant came, and said to the man that sacrificed, Give flesh to roast for the priest; for he will not have sodden flesh of thee, but raw. 16And if any man said unto him, Let them not fail to burn the fat presently, and then take as much as thy soul desireth; then he would answer him, Nay; but thou shalt give it me now: and if not, I will take it by force. 17Wherefore the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD: for men abhorred the offering of the LORD.

Eli was a great priest but his sons were heathens who stole from God. They were not serving the Lord we do know that. Let’s read 1 Samuel 2:27-

27And there came a man of God unto Eli, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Did I plainly appear unto the house of thy father, when they were in Egypt in Pharaoh's house? 28And did I choose him out of all the tribes of Israel to be my priest, to offer upon mine altar, to burn incense, to wear an ephod before me? and did I give unto the house of thy father all the offerings made by fire of the children of Israel? 29Wherefore kick ye at my sacrifice and at mine offering, which I have commanded in my habitation; and honourest thy sons above me, to make yourselves fat with the chiefest of all the offerings of Israel my people? 30Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 31Behold, the days come, that I will cut off thine arm, and the arm of thy father's house, that there shall not be an old man in thine house. 32And thou shalt see an enemy in my habitation, in all the wealth which God shall give Israel: and there shall not be an old man in thine house for ever. 33And the man of thine, whom I shall not cut off from mine altar, shall be to consume thine eyes, and to grieve thine heart: and all the increase of thine house shall die in the flower of their age. 34And this shall be a sign unto thee, that shall come upon thy two sons, on Hophni and Phinehas; in one day they shall die both of them.35And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind: and I will build him a sure house; and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever. 36And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left in thine house shall come and crouch to him for a piece of silver and a morsel of bread, and shall say, Put me, I pray thee, into one of the priests' offices, that I may eat a piece of bread.

So Eli was told his sons were stealing from God and that as a result they would die on the same day. What might have happened if Eli would have gone to his sons in the beginning and reprimanded them? They were living in sins but Eli turned a blind eye to it. Maybe he was busy with Samuel and didn’t want to acknowledge his own sons were stealing from the Lord. Maybe he thought that by training and raising up Samuel that it would excuse his mistake for not correcting his sons….one problem: when you steal from God, and misuse his name, he does not turn and forget about it….God is forgiving and merciful, but we must repent and turn from our wicked ways!

Commentary time:
·         Verse 31 – God’s work shall never fall to the ground for want of hands to carry it on. Notwithstanding the degeneracy we see and lament in many families, God will secure to Himself a succession.

Hello Samuel….
·         1 Samuel 2:18: But Samuel ministered before the LORD, being a child, girded with a linen ephod. 
·         1 Samuel 3:10- And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth. 11And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle. 12In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end. 13For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not. 14And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever.15And Samuel lay until the morning, and opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel feared to shew Eli the vision. 16Then Eli called Samuel, and said, Samuel, my son. And he answered, Here am I.17And he said, What is the thing that the LORD hath said unto thee? I pray thee hide it not from me: God do so to thee, and more also, if thou hide any thing from me of all the things that he said unto thee. 18And Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the LORD: let him do what seemeth him good.19And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground. 20And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD. 21And the LORD appeared again in Shiloh: for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the LORD.

Wow, don’t you know a child was the FIRST person God came to in an open vision.

·         1 Samuel 1:1 -And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision.

And not only did Samuel hear God but then he had to go and tell his advisor/leader/elder that punishment was coming unto him. What I like about it is that Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. So many times we go to uplift a brother in need, but often times we hid the truth from him. We speak encouragement and take a side in the argument without hearing both sides. We play judge and jury all in one….sometimes we just need to speak the TRUTH no matter if the person receiving it will like it. If God tells you something to tell someone then tell EVERYTHING and hide NOTHING.

Sometimes God sends us new people to take under our ministry to lead and allow God to shine through. Sometimes the ones we love most will not be the ones God has called into the calling we are so desperately wanting for them. Rather than force something that isn’t God’s will, why not be willing to listen to God’s voice and put the person God has for you in that position or place. God’s timing is flawless and perfect.  However if things in your house aren’t right you still have to set them in order before the Lord. So I encourage each of you, get your house in order, don’t put anything or anybody before the Lord, if someone is doing something that is not right in God’s eye then go to them and speak with them about it. You never know when you may be the last person that is able to talk to them before they die. Let’s not hide things or be afraid to speak the truth. If God tells you to tell someone something then do it. Let’s serve God together in honor and truth. Hiding nothing back from God but being open and honest about the things that hinder us. Reaching out to others for help in our time of need and weakness, and being willing to admit we made a mistake and need forgiveness. Repent before the Lord, hiding nothing back, but give it all to God. Stand up and be the Christian God has called you to be. Quit showing this world what hypocrites Christians can be, and show them what it truly means to be a CHRISTian. Be CHRIST-like in ALL our actions and deeds. Let us CHRISTIANS go to other CHRISTIANS and stop them from being a stumbling block. LET US GLORIFY CHRIST IN EVERY WAY!

·         1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19We love him, because he first loved us. 20If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update on my Health

Discouragement in a different world

Debridement of the Flesh