36 days left in Niger

Hello my friend,
Today was a different type of day. I was faced with decisions that normally would be easy to make but today I had a hard time trying to figure out the answer. Simple normal questions found me in moments of duh! I don't know what I'm doing....and I am normally not like that......here are some of the simple questions that left me feeling "duh".....

• How many groceries should I buy? I have to move in less than 2 weeks and I don't know where exactly I am moving for sure yet so how much stuff do I want to move down the hill or to the other potential place?
• How much money should I take out of the ATM? I am selling my motorcycle so I will have CFA's in March but what about for rent, food, and the rest of stuff for February and March until I leave. Balancing and budgeting money in another currency is slightly weird and confusing at times! ;)
• How much stuff should I go ahead and give away (ex: African clothes, and left over stuff I brought from the USA) or should I wait and give it away before I leave? But...I don't really want to move with it but what if I need it....

And then there are the more serious questions....

• Will I see some of the children again that I have been working with?
• Will I see these great friends I have made here, ever again?
• In what ways can I continue to support my friends here when I leave?
• Will one of these children come to know Jesus?
• What do I do when I get back home?
• Where do I work?
• How long before I come back to Africa as a missionary?
• Will I be torn between being happy to be back with my family at home and thinking of everything and everyone I have left here in Niger?
• What is God's will for my life? What is my next step?

Ahhh....yes I am probably thinking too hard about everything and probably thinking about it way too soon but that is me. I am 100% one-way or 100% the other way and I have never been a 50% girl. I don't know how to be. I give completely or I didn't give at all. That is me......ahh... but I'm don't feel finished with Niger and I am leaving in 36 days and I don't know if it is goodbye forever or goodbye for right now and that is the hard part.......I'm going to miss these children, people and friends so much!
Here are my prayer requests for the next 36 days I am here in Niger.

1. Pray God's will for my life and not my own.

2. Pray for the kid's club and that God will send someone to help Kimberly with the kids club once I leave.

3. Pray for all my missionary friends in Niger and that, God will continue to protect them and give them strength to continue working in this country.

4. Pray for the Bolls. They are IMB missionaries that are getting ready to retire from Niger and they are leaving 1 week ahead of me. Pray that everything will work out and they will have a problem free and a safe trip back to the USA.

5. Pray that God will continue to use me and I will be effective in my last 36 days here in Niger.

6. Pray for all the "technical" things will all work out (ex: selling my motorcycle, and moving)

7. Pray for peace, as I get ready to leave Niger.

Thanks for all your prayers and support the past 238 days!

God Bless!

Stacey

P.S. This is a blog from one of my missionary friends named Karina. It is awesome!

Musings from Niger...


We were sitting in our living room sipping ice water and saying goodbye. In less than 24 hours my new friend would be leaving Niger. She was being evacuated.
One week earlier two young French men had been kidnapped three blocks from our home, by Al Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM). Within 24 hours of their capture they were dead, along with the kidnappers and several Nigerien military. A French-Nigerien rescue attempt went wrong. As we talked, she asked me if I’d thought about what I’d do if someone pointed a gun at me and said, “Get in the car!”
Two weeks later, I’m still thinking about her question. Not so much as to what I’d do (although that is a very good question), but rather could it really happen to me, or Daniel, or Gary. The American powers to be in Niger seem to think it is a possibility. The US government has mandated a 9pm to 6am curfew for all embassy personnel, and travel is restricted. The Peace Corp has evacuated all 98 of their volunteers for the first time since 1962. Boston University, which has offered a study abroad program in Niger for 20 years, cancelled their spring and fall semesters. My friend has left. AQIM has changed the face of Niger, perhaps for a very long time. My next thought was even more disquieting, if it could happen, would God let it? We came to Niger to share His love with the most vulnerable of His creation, the little ones either born handicapped, or having become so. Wouldn’t God keep us safe?

He wasn’t safe for Stephen when he was stoned. He wasn’t safe when Nero burned the Christians to entertain the mob. He wasn’t safe for His children in Egypt when they walked out of Church on New Years Eve, but never made it home. He hasn’t been safe for our brothers and sisters in Christ who have given their lives on foreign soil in service to our country. He wasn’t safe for the two French men who were kidnapped and killed. He wasn’t safe when…when… when…He wasn’t safe when His Son was nailed to the cross.

“Course He isn’t safe. But He’s good.” Said Mr. Beaver (aka C.S. Lewis)
The first time I read this I trembled, sometimes I still do. Truth be told, it doesn’t always feel like God is good when He isn’t “safe”. But just because I don’t feel it, doesn’t mean it isn’t true. If the Christian God isn’t good, why would so many risk their “safety” to believe in Him. Why would someone choose to believe God in China, or Iran, or Afghanistan knowing that to do so could cost him his job, his family, his life? Why would someone who has been beaten and imprisoned for his faith, or has lost a loved one early in life, or suffered unspeakable tragedy, or…or… or… still worship and praise God when He isn’t “safe”?

We still worship Him because we know that our God is good, and good is ultimately better than safe. Good says, "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” (Deut. 31.8) Good says, “I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Rom. 8:38,39) Good says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened. And I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matt.11:28,29) Good says, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10) Good declares that God’s love for us is so incredible, He died to prove it.

I fear many things on this side of heaven - illness, accidents, death…and now kidnapping. When I face these on my own, fear consumes me. But when I consider that I know a good God, who promises to see me through my darkest hours, then I am able to experience moments of peace that pass all understanding. And in the midst of the storm He invites me to walk on water. Yes, He is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update on my Health

Discouragement in a different world

Debridement of the Flesh