A renewed hope - Psalms 23

This morning at 8am I started school orientation. We began by having worship and prayer. It is so amazing to be a in a Christian school atmosphere again. It makes me so thankful and miss Heritage Christian School (where I went to high school). Afterwards we received a letter and we were told to go find somewhere quiet, read this letter and have quiet time with the Lord for 30 minutes. WOW! 30 minutes planned for God on an orientation schedule? That’s awesome! Here is what the letter said they gave me:

Praying the Scriptures (Lectio Divina)

"Reading seeks for the sweetness of a blessed life, Mediation perceives it, Prayer asks for it, Contemplation tastes it".

Lectio (Read)
Gently read a brief passage from the Word of God, listening with the ears of your heart. Note what word or phase seems to call to you from the passage. Write it in your journal.

Meditatio (Meditate)
Slowly reread the passage, and repeat the word/phrase that God seems to be speaking to you in your heart. Ask Him: "What do you want me to learn from this today?" Write in your journal what the Lord says to you.

Oratio (Pray)
As you read the passage a third time, savor it. Let it move you to place yourself before the One who has invited you to intimate dialogue. Trust God enough to speak from your heart.

Contemplatio (Contemplate)
Read the passage a last time and as you sit quietly, let the Holy Spirit speak to your heart. Let go of the text and simply rest in God. As the fragrance of God's word surrounds you, enjoy the sweetness of your communion with the God of the Scriptures.

The verse to read was Psalms 23, I thought I knew everything about this chapter; I've heard it a hundred times and have heard it preached many times. But I decided to begin doing what this letter said. So I went to a "tree house" on the playground (yes I'm the only school teacher who still climbs up to a ladder to get to a "tree house") and as rain begin to come down around me, I began to read Psalms 23 (NLT) on back of this letter.

Verse 1: The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
My initial thoughts: Yes I know God is my shepherd and I shall not want...wait this doesn't say want it says need. Yes they mean the same but need took on a whole different revelation to me this am.
Revelations about Verse 1: I have everything I need here in Niger to do what God has called me to do. While I might think I need things that aren't here, God has supplied all my needs to fulfill the calling he has placed on my life while I'm here in Niger.

Verse 2: He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me besides peaceful streams.
Revelations about Verse 2: I don't have to fear anything when my Shepherd is leading me, I can REST. I'm also resting in green meadows, I have food, shelter, and water when I follow my shepherd and I will have a rich supply of spiritual nourishment. God leads me beside peaceful streams....WOW! As long as I follow my Shepherd there will be no confusion, and no evil, he will lead me to safe places.

Verse 3: He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
Revelations about Verse 3: God alone gives me inner strength to keep going after a hard day- nothing that I can do by myself! If what I'm doing doesn't bring honor to Jesus Christ it isn't right!

Verse 4: Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
Revelations about Verse 4: God doesn't lead me to a dark valley, notice when I walk. God isn't going to lead me somewhere dark and where there is no light. However, GOD is already there protecting and watching over me despite my leading of myself off the wrong path. God will reach out with his rod and staff and gently guide back to the right path while using that same staff to "beat off" the devil's plans.

Verse 5: You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.
Revelations about verse 5: I am blessed despite any circumstances because I have the gift of salvation and the promise of eternal life. When I'm in a dangerous location/place I have the anointing of the Spirit with me from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet and I can be with my enemies and I am still under the protection of my Shepherd.

Verse 6: Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.
Revelations about Verse 6: God's unfailing love and goodness is always there but most of the time we won't accept it. We try to take care of situations by ourselves instead of trusting God. I've always thought that the last verse meant I will live in heaven with my Lord someday but today I realized my body is the temple of Christ therefore I will live with God in mediation, prayer, worship and praise here on this earth and also up in heaven.

WOW! God revealed alot to me today and all I had to do was push forward and keep seeking his face despite knowing the fact but not really understanding them. What can he reveal to you, we all need to take a little time and do what praying on the Scriptures says for now on.

God Bless! Stacey

P.S. Jordan & I went back prayer walking today and played with the same children and even began to teach them some English :) Pray God will continue using us for his Kingdom :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update on my Health

Discouragement in a different world

Debridement of the Flesh